Recent Posts

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

inspiration: entrepreneurship

As I sit here at my desk this morning I am fantasizing for the day I can be my own boss. This whole reporting to "the man" nonsense is wearing thin. I was flipping through some old photo albums at my folk's house last week and came across tons of shots that left an impression on me. Seeing taught happy faces and disco clad parents was enjoyable but what really stood out to me were all the shots of them working. They have always been entrepreneurial and self driven. At some point in their early careers they both decided, "Fuck this, I'm working for myself!" and opened independent businesses.
These 3 photos (although not flattering) show my dad in a few of his successful business ventures:
Young Freddy as a personal accountant and notary publicA stoic CPA Freddy
And a much happier Travel Agency owner .
These push me one step further to actually quit bitching and start following my passion.

7 comments:

drollgirl said...

love these shots! hate working for the man! glad your dad figured out what would make him happy!

i am wondering what you want to pursue? hmmmm. i am better at figuring out what i DON'T want to do rather than what i DO want to do.

Kitty Stampede said...

ME TOO!! haha, as per droll's comment. I find it so TOUGH to figure it out. I applied for that Documentary course, but God only knows if it will pull through. I want to work for myself DAMMIT. Its soo hard, but I betcha soooo worth it. I would love not to be strapped down, period..I think that is why I am scared to open a business. I'm not ready to settle in living in a particular place, etc.
My dad is also a hardcore entrepeneur...he can't stand the man.

Heist said...

I love the new layout! You're inspiring me to try something new too...

wool and misc said...

LOVE!!! I also love how he's progressively happier. you're on your way too, lady!

kadler said...

Ok, that's awesome. I want to do that, too. Your parents are inspire me also.

And I love his outfits!

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

Great pics of your dad! I feel inspired too. My Dad was self-employed much of his life, and because of it there were some very lean years growing up and my parents have no retirement to speak of. However, I haven't let it dissuade me. I'm still fighting like mad to stay self-employed, even with no renovation work right now and a mountain of debt. (The vintage Etsy shop and a handmade shop I'm working on are my ONLY source of income right now). I should probably face reality and start sending out the resumes, but dammit I just don't want to go back...

Lauren said...

Your dad worked his little butt off so he could buy you and your moom awesome things, now you are doing the same! Amazing.