Recent Posts

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

ew.


I watched the documentary Food, Inc. this past weekend. It touches on the corporatization of America's food, factory farming, meat contamination, and sustainability. It was as horrifying as food documentaries come. I'm not going to lie though, after watching it I still had a craving for a Chipotle burrito bowl. Those are hard to fight. Of the many topics covered I found the idea of cloning animals for feed really disturbing. I had no idea scientist and farmers were still cloning
animals, let alone cloning for consumption. I can't articulate why I find this to be so gross, but it just is.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The FDA has admitted that meat and milk from the offspring of cloned mammals such as cows, pigs, goats and sheep could very well have already entered the food supply in the United States.

"In January, the FDA declared that foods derived from cloned animals and their offspring were safe for human consumption. The U.S. Department of Agriculture, however, asked food companies to voluntarily maintain a ban on products from clones. The voluntary ban did not extend to the offspring of cloned animals."

"Consumers are likely already eating meat and drinking milk from the offspring of clones."

7 comments:

dontwakebrannan said...

I watched Food, Inc. this past weekend too! So disturbing. I went to the grocery store last night and all I saw were rows and rows of corn in bright packages.

Heist said...

I saw it a couple nights ago too...I'm thinking the ammonia washed beef is pretty scary and scarier was how proud that guy was of that little tidbit!

wool and misc said...

ignorance is bliss! i don't wanna know!!! *buries head in sand*

zyanna said...

ewww.ugh, i really wanna watch this now but will either have to trick gordie into watching with, or watch it alone, which kinda freaks me out.

me melodia said...

Brannan: I know. We're all made of corn. Have you seen "king of corn"?

Tiff: Ew, I totes forgot about that sick ammonia meat filler factory. finished product. blegh.

Grace: It is bliss. Also not giving a fuck is too. The morning after Ben went for McDonnalds.

Ziz: Trick Gordy! Once you see the cows knee deep in shit you'll think twice. Maybe.

Kitty Stampede said...

I have this on my list of movies to watch...still keep putting off Earthlings..I know I will bawl and bawl. I just seen Beautiful Truth which was really good, they talk quite a bit about the harmful chemicals we put in our bodies like msg,apartame etc..no wonder there is such a cancer epidemic.
It sounds like Steve and Ben would get along hehe...He hates when I watch stuff like this cause I kinda get all obsessed. And his like favorite food is Mcdonald's Sausage Mcmuffin..barf. I have just started buying all organic and also want to find a local farmer I can support. I don't think I could ever give up meat.

Anonymous said...

It's interesting to see just how pervasive memory has become in our every day lives. It seems like everytime I turn my head, I see something with a card slot or USB port, haha. I guess it makes sense though, considering how much more afforable memory has become lately...

Gahhhh, I shouldn't be complaining. I can't make it through a day without my R4 / R4i!

(Posted from Nintendo DS running [url=http://cid-2602f0e287041cef.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!2602F0E287041CEF!106.entry]R4i[/url] NETPost)