Recent Posts

Saturday, January 30, 2010

consecration

*this cute post-it I found in the kitchen the other morning made my heart thump

I'm sure I'd gain new insight into the man I love from reading his dogeared copy of The catcher in the rye. Those early influential books are so formative of one's personality. I need to revisit this classic.


influential
in·flu·en·tial [in-(ˌ)flü-ˈen(t)-shəl]
adj. Having or exercising influence.
n.
One that is of considerable importance or influence.

Among other things, you'll find that you're not the first person who was ever confused and frightened and even sickened by human behavior. You're by no means alone on that score, you'll be excited and stimulated to know. Many, many men have been just as troubled morally and spiritually as you are right now. Happily, some of them kept records of their troubles. You'll learn from them - if you want to. Just as someday, if you have something to offer, someone will learn something from you. It's a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. And it isn't education. It's history. It's poetry.
- J.D. Salinger,
The Catcher in the Rye

2 comments:

wool and misc said...

my favorite hermit crab.

ben has amazing penmanship! it's nice, like a girl's!

east side bride said...

just began rereading the copy my mom gave me when I left for college. ♥