Recent Posts

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

throw back

While going through my old photobucket account I came across these files from my senior year portfolio project. I was/am still obsessed with making things precious. I have a tendency to hoard and cherish every little last bit of someone or something i love. There were a couple of things that were a constant in my life back then: dust bunnies, cat poop, dirty bathrooms ( thanks to 4 roommates), and fatty comfort foods. This project is an exploration of all those things.
When I first began dating my boyfriend I noticed he'd leave his hair trimmings all over the bathroom. So, I naturally saved them to eventually create the "ice cream sandwich" above.
This photo is pretty self explanatory I think. I ate chocolates and collected my cats hair clumps. This is the result of just storing the hairballs in this tacky box until I figured out what to do with them. While cleaning my room one day I placed the box on my bed and voila!
This still life took a little more finesse and gross out factor. I was inspired by the cover of that horrible james fray book-a million little pieces. Again, I reverted back to what I know, cat poop, litter box maintenance and cupcakes.

This series was really fun to shoot and develop. I sadly haven't continued shooting although I do miss the studio.
All photographs were taken with a 4x5 camera and the negatives then scanned in PS.

11 comments:

Netty said...

hahahha am I the only one who finds this humor hilarious?? haha this is too much.

Emilia Jane said...

These are amazing and beautiful and disgusting. I love it!

The Dutchess of Kickball said...

I didn't realize that that was an ice cream sandwich. I thought it was a bar of soap with curlies left behind in it. I think the first time my bf showered at my place I told him that that was clearly not allowed.

Heist said...

Where's the kitty litter cupcake? That's my favorite.

me melodia said...

Thanks Tiffo! Kitty litter cupcake is one of my favs too-I'll post it next week.

Rackk and Ruin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rackk and Ruin said...

i love the rainbow sprinkled cat poop photo the best! great work! i discovered your blog when i did a google search for the lady grey jewelry, i'm glad i did!

east side bride said...

these are fabulous. i love what they say about the constants in your life.

p.s. i also loved james frey's book. memoir or no.

wool and misc said...

hey! poop tacos could totally go in this book! i love love love your blog. I'm adding to my rotating featured list!

xoxoxo,
go

Kitty Stampede said...

i love your brain.

bigBANG studio said...

the last one? the cat sh*t with sprinkles? GENIUS. please, PLEASE include that in your MFA portfolio.

(and psst...you're in good compnay; i'm fa-REAKing out puting my MFA portfolio together, too. painting, not photo. but wonder if we're applying to some of the same schools?! good luck with your new work! xoxo!)